I first reported on the “James McDaniel Special” – a half midge sized fiberglass car, in late Fall 2011. Gary McDaniel, his son, has since begun plans for restoration of his family’s nice little fiber car, and continues to look for more documentation.
Recently he hit paydirt – some absolutely stunning photos – one with his father and the car. Another with his brother in the “special” and Gary in front.
Let’s see what Gary had to share about the photos below:
Two more photos have recently been found. There is one of my father, nearest the driver door, and his employee, Penny, leaning against a Hudson with the little fiberglass car parked along side. This was taken at his business, Glenoaks Auto Glass.
The other has the little car on a trailer behind my mother’s 1951 MG TD preparing for a local parade. My brother, Dana, is sitting in the car and I’m standing on the sidewalk behind. This was taken in front of our home on Kenwood Ave in Burbank.
I believe these pictures should be from 1953. There is a sign above the little car advertising my father’s business and identifies the address as 1814 W. Burbank Blvd.
Let’s have a look at the photos Gary found – and some close-ups too:
Thanks to Gary McDaniel for sharing with us the latest “finds” concerning his car, and I hope he continues to share with us any new developments including restoration when it begins.
For those of you wanting to learn more about the history of this car and some of which how it was built – click on the link below:
Hope you enjoyed the story, and until next time…
Glass on gang…
* Click on the following link to view all stories on: One-Off Sports Cars
* New Feature: To post your comments and thoughts about this story, scroll down the page and post your information in the section titled “Leave A Reply.” Your name and e-mail address will be required, but only your name will appear – not your e-mail address.
* Click here to visit the Forgotten Fiberglass Forums and post your thoughts about vintage fiberglass cars.
* Click here to listen to our Podcast led by Todd Ruel of Gone Autos
* Click here to visit our Forgotten Fiberglass Facebook page
* Don’t Forget: We appreciate any and all donations to our Forgotten Fiberglass website. Your donations help defray production costs. To make a donation, look for the “Support Forgotten Fiberglass” box at the bottom right of our website and click on the word “Donate”. All contributions help make “Forgotten Fiberglass” the best it can be.
Click on the Images Below to View Larger Pictures