This is our eighth in a series of “spotlights” on sections of a Buyer’s Guide for fiberglass sports cars published by Car Craft in March, 1956. Click on the link below to review all fiberglass cars discussed in this 1956 Buyer’s Guide as of today:
Today’s article focuses on the Victress S1A Roadster designed by Doc Boyce-Smith and Hugh Jorgensen which debuted in late ’52 in Southern California. And the car shown in the Buyer’s Guide is none other than the Victress S1A Roadster built by Grant McCoon of “Grant’s Piston Rings” – still a missing car as of today.
Background: The Victress S1A Roadster
The Victress appeared on the automotive scene in late ’52 and by late ’53 it had already starred in the International Films movie, “Johnny Dark” with Tony Curtis and Piper Laurie AND had been used by Guy Mabee, Denny Larsen, and Ray Brown in August of ’53 at Bonneville to set the world’s record and become the “World’s Fastest Sports Car.”
Not a bad start for Victress Manufacturing – and they were just getting going in the industry 🙂
Let’s see what Car Craft had to say about the Victress S1A Roadster
Car Craft (March 1956): The Victress S1A
Car Craft (March 1956)
|Overall Height At Cowl||
|Overall Height With Top||
|Body Kit Semi-Complete||
|Body Kit Including Hardware||
|The above body is also available to fit a 94 inch wheelbase and 48 inch tread. This model is called the Victress S5.|
|For additional prices and information, write:||Victress Manufacturing Company11823 Sherman WayNorth Hollywood, CaliforniaPoplar 5 – 5339|
Hope you enjoyed the story, and until next time…
Glass on gang…
* Click on the following link to view all stories on: Victress Sports Cars
* New Feature: To post your comments and thoughts about this story, scroll down the page and post your information in the section titled “Leave A Reply.” Your name and e-mail address will be required, but only your name will appear – not your e-mail address.
* Click here to visit the Forgotten Fiberglass Forums and post your thoughts about vintage fiberglass cars.
* Click here to listen to our Podcast led by Todd Ruel of Gone Autos
* Click here to visit our Forgotten Fiberglass Facebook page
* Don’t Forget: We appreciate any and all donations to our Forgotten Fiberglass website. Your donations help defray production costs. To make a donation, look for the “Support Forgotten Fiberglass” box at the bottom right of our website and click on the word “Donate”. All contributions help make “Forgotten Fiberglass” the best it can be.
Click on the Images Below to View Larger Pictures