Appreciation of cars knows no boundaries. And that has led to a great friendship with Rik Hoving – Custom Car aficionado who lives in the Netherlands. Rik is one of the best sources out there on history of custom cars in America, and maintains a website with vintage custom car photography and historical reference pieces too. Click here to visit Rik Hoving’s Custom Car websites.
I received an e-mail today from Rik discussing some custom car issues of mutual interest when he added, “Geoff – you’ve seen all the Life Magazine photos showing Darrin’s fiberglass car in ’46 – haven’t you?”
“No…” I replied, “I have seen only one photo.”
And then Rik shared “Do I have a surprise for you…”
And he did. I knew of just one photo from Life magazine that ran on December 8th, 1947 showing the Darrin car. The magazine showed just a small picture in that issue, but the picture I had found on the internet was beautiful in detail – but I only found just one photo.
Rik Hoving found 15 more. He’s simply an amazing researcher
Let’s take a look at the treasure trove of photos – the best I’ve ever seen of the 1946 Darrin car – one of the first postwar fiberglass cars produced anywhere in the world. The photos were taken by Allan Grant on January 1st 1947 – nearly a year before the single photo appeared in Life Magazine shown above.
Life Magazine 1946 Darrin Car:
Allan Grant Photos: Taken on January 1st, 1947
One Photo Appeared in December 8th 1947 Life Magazine
The story of Darrin and his postwar fiberglass cars is a great story to review and we’re continuing to write it today. Be sure to click on the link below to checkout all stories concerning Howard “Dutch” Darrin, his designs, cars, and concepts. Dutch was the consummate designer.
Hope you enjoyed the story, and until next time…
Glass on gang…
Update: 10/30/2011: The Darrin family confirmed that the gentleman in the car in the pictures above is “Bob Darrin” – Dutch Darrin’s oldest son.
* Click on the following link to view all stories on: Howard Darrin Sports Cars
* Click on the following link to view all stories on: Darrin 1946 Fiberglass Car
* New Feature: To post your comments and thoughts about this story, scroll down the page and post your information in the section titled “Leave A Reply.” Your name and e-mail address will be required, but only your name will appear – not your e-mail address.
* Click here to visit the Forgotten Fiberglass Forums and post your thoughts about vintage fiberglass cars.
* Click here to listen to our Podcast led by Todd Ruel of Gone Autos
* Click here to visit our Forgotten Fiberglass Facebook page
* Don’t Forget: We appreciate any and all donations to our Forgotten Fiberglass website. Your donations help defray production costs. To make a donation, look for the “Support Forgotten Fiberglass” box at the bottom right of our website and click on the word “Donate”. All contributions help make “Forgotten Fiberglass” the best it can be.
Click on the Images Below to View Larger Pictures